Students at Larapinta Primary School are provided with many opportunities to develop academically, socially, emotionally and physically. A range of experiences are provided in classrooms, through support or resource programs and through extra-curricular activities. We use the Australian Curriculum to guide our classroom and specialist programs.
Choir is run each week for students in Year 3 to Year 6. It is a voluntary activity and students must make a commitment to attend all rehearsals. The choir competes and performs at the Centralian Eisteddfod and also performs at school assemblies and concerts throughout the year.
We have several programs to support students at the school, including:
- Read Write Inc.
- EALD support
- Inclusive Education
- Lexiles Reading Program
Students have access to our well-stocked Library with a wide range of current resources. Students also attend a weekly library lesson with their class and are encouraged to borrow during this time. The library is also open to students at lunchtime.
Students have access to a wide range of sporting opportunities at Larapinta.
- All classes participate in fitness activities at the beginning of each school day.
- Class teachers have carriage of a physical education lesson for their class each week.
- Senior students participate in Interschool sport activities weekly and an Interschool Athletics Carnival in Term 2.
- The whole school sports day is scheduled in Term 2 each year.
- Students from Transition to Year 2 participate in a swimming program conducted by qualified Austswim instructors for two weeks each year.
Languages Other Than English
In partnership with the Language Centre, our students learn either Arrernte (local Aboriginal language), Chinese or Japanese on a weekly basis.
The NT Music School provides opportunities for Year 5 and 6 students to learn to play a variety of musical instruments at school. Students attend lessons once a week. There is an instrument lease program which allows students to learn to play instruments without having to purchase outright.
Since 2013, we have been implementing the work of Professor John Hattie. We have developed our school's Effective Learner Qualities and these are on display in each classroom and greet you as you arrive at school in the morning. At Larapinta we encourage students to be: