The Families as First Teachers (FaFT) program is an early learning and family support program for remote Indigenous families.
The aim of FaFT is to improve developmental outcomes for remote Indigenous children by working with families and children prior to school entry.
FaFT early learning activities have an emphasis both on child and adult learning and are described as dual generational.
The key components of dual generational early childhood learning in FaFT and Mobile FaFT programs are:
- quality child-centred early learning experiences
- facilitated adult-child interactions through the Abecedarian Approach including Conversational Reading, Learning Games, enriched caregiving and Language Priority
- adult learning opportunities
- nutrition, health and hygiene
- linking families with support services and agencies.
FaFT Educator: Rachel Jericho
Phone: 8958 5183
FaFT Family Liason Officer: Deanne Cook
Phone: 8958 5184